This weekend was Drake’s OVO Festival in Toronto, and not everyone could make it but Philly’s own Ish (The DNTN Brand) & Shaheed (Changemakers) were able to experience it for us. This is their first hand experience of the event.
The OVO Fest is the biggest Annual Hip-Hop event in Toronto hosted by Drake and friends. Named after his hometown pre-fame October’s Very Own clique, began in 2010 as a way to stake his claim on the Hip-Hop scene. Previous OVO fest guests include Jay Z, Eminem, Nas, Lil Wayne, and Stevie Wonder. This year’s advertised guests included A$AP Rocky, 2 Chainz, and The Weeknd. Special guests included Waka Flocka, Snoop Dogg, Nicki Minaj, French Montana, Meek Mill, and Rick Ross.
Ish & Shaheed recap below
- The crowds reaction when Meek took stage with Drake to perform “Amen.” Meek’s 1st time in Toronto and he made sure he left his mark on the stage. Made us proud to be from Philly. Performing “Amen” with Drake and “I’m a Boss” with Rick Ross sealed the deal.
- Stage Production.
- Drake is actually a great performer who knows how to connect with the audience. At one point, he asked somebody in the audience to throw him a quarter so he can have a contest. At this point, everybody started throwing quarters on stage and Drake made a joke about it saying “damn, don’t poke a muhfucka’s eye out now.” The significance of the coin/contest was to have a heads or tails flip that would determine if he should bring out another special guest. Following the coin toss, Drake brought out Snoop which surprised everyone.
- There were rumors that Rihanna and Nicki Minaj would make an appearance. No Rihanna, but seeing Nicki and that big ass of hers was fair enough!
Songs Drake performed with guests at the show:
- 2 Chainz (“No Lie”)
- The Weeknd (“Crew Luv”)
- Waka Flocka (“Round of Applause”)
- Nicki Minaj (“I’m So Proud”)
- Meek Mill (“Amen”)
- Rick Ross and French Montana (“Pop That” and “Stay Schemin”)
Follow them on Twitter and Instagram
© 2012, Brandon Wyche. All rights reserved.